Cricket News: Australia Cricket Schedule 2022-23: Bumper Tours & World Cups | Australia men’s cricket team schedule 2022 and 2023
The Australia men’s cricket team has a bumper schedule over 2022-23, with huge tours, high-profile visits and two World Cups headlining the calendar.
Soon after the 2022 Indian Premier League concludes, Australia will tour Sri Lanka for three T20Is, three ODIs and two Tests, of which they have named a 34-man squad. The last time Australia toured Sri Lanka, they were blanked 3-0 in the Tests, and will now want redemption especially after a morale-building 1-0 win in challenging conditions in Pakistan earlier this year.
Australia’s home season is expected to kick off in August with three ODIs against Zimbabwe. This series was originally scheduled for 2020 but was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Also, New Zealand are set to visit for three ODIs – their first appearance in Australia since the Sydney ODI behind closed doors in March 2020.
September 2022 will see Australia tour India for three T20Is, followed by six T20Is at home against West Indies and England. Australia will then aim to defend their T20 World Cup crown at home in October-November, before a three-match ODI series against England at home.
Then, it will be all about the Tests. West Indies will play two Test matches down under, followed by a highly-anticipated visit by South Africa for three matches. The Proteas have an excellent record in Australia, and will be aiming to continue that in 2022-23.
Following the conclusion of the home season, Australia will tour India for four Test matches in February-March 2023. Not since 2004 have the Aussies won a Test series in India, and they have only tasted success once in 14 matches on Indian soil since that historic series win.
In June-July 2023, Australia will attempt to retain the Ashes on enemy soil. Steve Smith and Pat Cummins led the way in England in 2019, as they retained the urn courtesy of a 2-2 series draw.
Following that, Pat Cummins’ team will tour South Africa in August 2023 for three Tests. This series was scheduled for March 2021, but Australia pulled out at the 11th hour due to COVID-19. However, the tour of South Africa might not be set in stone, as the 2023 ODI World Cup is also scheduled for August in India.
Australia men’s cricket schedule 2022-23
- June-July 2022: Tour of Sri Lanka, three T20Is, three ODIs, two Tests
- August-September 2022: Host Zimbabwe (three ODIs) and New Zealand (three ODIs)
- September 2022: Tour of India, three T20Is
- October 2022: Host West Indies (three T20Is) and England (three T20Is)
- October-November 2022: T20 World Cup in Australia
- December 2022-January 2023: Host West Indies (two Tests) and South Africa (three Tests)
- February-March 2023: Tour of India, four Tests
- June-July 2023: Ashes tour of England, five Tests
- August 2023: Tour of South Africa, three Tests
- August 2023: ODI World Cup in India