SL vs AFG 1st ODI Dream11 Prediction & Fan2Play Possible 11 Pitch Report | SL vs AFG 1st ODI Dream11 Prediction | Pallekele Pitch Report
After a riveting T20 World Cup and irrelevant ODI series, the ODI Super League returns. Hosts Sri Lanka are in need of points if they wish to qualify directly to next year’s World Cup. Their opponents, Afghanistan, have won ten out of 12, and can move far up the table with good performances in the Island nation.
This is the first ever bilateral ODI series between the teams. It promises to be an interesting one as Dasun Shanaka’s team will aim to build on their wonderful series win against Australia earlier this year, while Afghanistan have the bowling attack to cause the hosts problems on these pitches.
SL vs AFG 1st ODI Possible Playing XIs
After a long wait, Sri Lanka finally named their squad.
They may open with Dinesh Chandimal as Danushka Gunathilaka is unavailable. Bhanuka Rajapaksa’s availability is unclear, with some reports he has withdrawn from the series. Also, Chamika Karunaratne has been banned for one year due to a disciplinary breach.
Sri Lanka: 1. Pathum Nissanka, 2. Dinesh Chandimal, 3. Kusal Mendis (wk), 4. Dhananjaya de Silva, 5. Charith Asalanka, 6. Dasun Shanaka (c), 7. Wanindu Hasaranga, 8. Dunith Wellalage, 9. Maheesh Theekshana, 10. Kasun Rajitha/Pramod Madushan, 11. Lahiru Kumara
Hashmatullah Shahidi will lead Afghanistan. Rahmat Shah is the vice-captain.
Afghanistan: 1. Rahmanullah Gurbaz (wk), 2. Ibrahim Zadran, 3. Rahmat Shah, 4. Hashmatullah Shahidi (c), 5. Najibullah Zadran, 6. Mohammad Nabi, 7. Azmatullah Omarzai/Gulbadin Naib, 8. Rashid Khan, 9. Mujeeb Ur Rahman, 10. Fazalhaq Farooqi, 11. Fareed Ahmad
Key Players to Watch/Key Stats
- Kusal Mendis struck scores of 86* and 36 on this ground against Australia earlier in 2022.
- Pathum Nissanka has struck three half-centuries in five ODIs at Pallekele. In five matches, he has scored 216 runs at an average of 43.20 and strike rate of 87.80.
- Dhananjaya de Silva will be expected to fill in with the ball in the absence of Chamika Karunaratne. The all-rounder has taken five wickets and scored 240 runs in eight ODIs at Pallekele.
- Dhanajaya recently scored 66* and took 1/9 against Afghanistan in the T20 World Cup.
- Wanindu Hasaranga recently took the most wickets in the T20 World Cup. This included 3/13. The legspinner will be keen to improve on his record at Pallekele: 8 inns, 5 wickets, avg. 37.40, SR 45.6.
- Dunith Wellalage impressed against Australia earlier in 2022. The youngster took nine wickets in the five-match series, including four in two games at this ground.
- Rahmat Shah is Afghanistan’s leading run scorer in ODIs this year. The right-hander has scored 484 runs at an average of 53.77 and strike rate of 68.36. This includes four fifties in nine innings.
- Skipper Hashmatullah Shahidi is Afghanistan’s second-leading run scorer this year. He has hit three fifties in nine knocks, part of 317 runs at an average of 39.62 and strike rate of 71.07.
- Rahmanullah Gurbaz will be key at the top of the order. He is the only Afghan to hit two ODI centuries this year. Ibrahim Zadran is the other centurion.
- Rashid Khan has taken four wickets in two ODIs against Sri Lanka at an average of 10.75 and superb economy of 2.83.
- Also, Rashid has taken 18 wickets in nine ODIs overall this year at an average of 19.22 and economy of 4.07.
- Fazalhaq Farooqi recently picked up a BBL deal and will be keen to show off his skills in the powerplay and death overs. The left-armer has taken 13 wickets in seven ODIs this year (avg. 21.23), with eight coming in the first ten overs (avg. 16.2, SR 24.8).
Other Stats and Facts
- Head-to-head: Matches 4, Sri Lanka 3, Afghanistan 1.
- Skipper Dasun Shanaka has smashed 332 runs in nine ODIs at Pallekele. He averages 41.50 with a strike rate of 111.03.
- Mohammad Nabi took 4/30 in Afghanistan’s last ODI against Sri Lanka, back in the 2019 World Cup.
- Fareed Ahmad in ODIs in 2022: 6 inns, 10 wickets, avg. 20.00, econ. 4.08.
- Mujeeb Ur Rahman in ODIs in 2022: 9 inns, 9 wickets, avg. 34.22, econ. 4.01.
Pallekele Pitch Report and Weather
The Pallekele surface slowed down quickly in the Sri Lanka-Australia series earlier this year. The Lions scored 300/7 in the first ODI, with Glenn Maxwell’s 80* (51) taking Australia home by two wickets. In the next game, Sri Lanka defended 216, with Dhananjaya de Silva taking 2/16.
There is a chance of rain, but hopefully not enough to disrupt the game too much. Hot and humid conditons are forecast, with a top of about 30 degrees.
SL vs AFG 1st ODI Dream11 Prediction Today 25 November 2022
Note: The below teams are not based on the final playing XIs. We may not be able to update these in time. Use the stats and commentary in this article as well as your own instincts to create your teams.
If you’re looking for an alternative to Dream11, Fan2Play offers different contests such as 2, 3 and 4 player fantasy teams. Check out and download the app here.
- Wicket-Keepers: Kusal Mendis
- Batsmen: Pathum Nissanka, Ibrahim Zadran
- All-Rounders: Dhananjaya de Silva, Wanindu Hasaranga
- Bowlers: Rashid Khan, Mujeeb Ur Rahman
SL vs AFG 1st ODI 2022 Match Prediction: Who will win?
Team batting first to win? Perhaps. It promises to be a closely contested battle.