Women’s basketball thwarted at Widener
CHESTER, Pa. – The Hood College women’s basketball team struggled defensively on the road in a conference loss to Widener 94-72.
Inside the Box Score
- Marlise Newson (Carlisle, Pa./Carlisle) led the Blazers with 13 points. Newson added five rebounds, four assists and two steals.
- Nyla Laniyonu (Lawrenceville, Ga./Arundel (Md.)) recorded a career-high in points with 12. The first-year student added seven rounds and a block off the bench.
- Philippa Clouse (Olney, Md./Sandy Spring Friends) ended the game with 12 points, six rebounds and two steals.
How it Happened
- Hood started the game hot going on a 6-0 run in the first two minutes. Newson led the run-scoring four of the first six points of the first period.
- The Pride answered with a 9-0 run of their own, led by Jordan D’Ambrosio that had four of the nine. This run gave Widener its first lead of the game 9-6 with 6:31 left.
- Widener ended the period on a 6-2 run to give them their biggest lead of the game 24-19 at the end of the first period.
- Hood’s Laniyonu converted a lay-up at the 8:04 mark in the second period, to pull the Blazers within three points with a score of 28-25.
- The Pride used a 12-0 run soon after to stretch its lead to 40-25 with 5:13 left in the period.
- Tam Stanford (Baltimore, Md./Our Lady of Mount Carmel) made a lay-up with 52 seconds left in the second period to get the Blazers within 16 points, with a halftime score of 50-34.
- Wideners’ Lindsey Kutz helped put the Pride’s lead to 56-36, with a lay-up with 7:43 left in the third period.
- The Pride’s biggest lead was 91-60 at the 4:28 mark in the fourth period.
- Widener shot 46 percent from the field, compared to 36 percent from the Blazers.
- The Pride had 18 points off Hood turnovers, while the Blazers cashed in 10 points from Widener’s mistakes.
- Widener had 20 fastbreak points, compared to the Blazers’ four.
- The Pride had 39 points from its bench, compared to the Blazers’ 20 points from the bench.
For the Opponent
- D’Ambrosio led the Pride with 18 points, adding three steals and four assists.
- Mia Robbins recorded a double-double with 13 points and ten rebounds.
- Mary McFillin shot 4-for-7 from behind the arc and ended the game with 14 points.
Hood heads on the road to York (Pa.) on Tuesday, Feb. 14.